Tuesday, May 16, 2006

The Waters Are Rising

I'm sure you've been seeing all of the news about the flooding in New England. I haven't seen the worst of it but there were some homes on my travels yesterday that had water creeping toward the first floor. People are out everywhere taking pictures of the raging water. I'll have to tote my camera along today and snap some photos if I think of it.

We've been pretty fortunate. The highest the water got in our basement was maybe two inches, but through our work all day yesterday and thanks to some very good friends who supplied us with some pumps, a dehumidifier, and a shop vac (every store from here to Rhode Island is out of pumps, shop vacs - anything flood recovery related), the water is pooled but no deeper than maybe half an inch in a few spots. Two edges of the basement are actually beginning to dry. As far as damage goes, we lost all of the carpet (not wall to wall, just remninents), some power strips, and worst of all my college portfolio was sitting on the floor. I quickly opened it up to see just how far the water seeped in and got so frustrated that I just left it for later...I suppose this afternoon is later so we'll see how bad it is.

Our basement issue is the water table so we just need to wait it out. There is no origination point as it just seeps out wherever it finds a spot. Our neighbors across the street had two feet of water that needed to be pumped out by a septic company and they lost a lot. They had just moved into the home in October and hadn't gotten to unpack many of their boxes...these ended up in the basement along with furniture and a small fortune in rugs and electronics. Of course insurance covers nothing in the basement but he's already been on the phone with his lawyer so hopefully they can recover at least something.

So that's been my last 24 hours! Thank the Lord that our power flickered yesterday morning. Sometimes, when this happens, the wireless internet needs to be reset - it's located in the basement. Shawn was preparing to get on the road when he needed to do some things on the computer before he left. The boys were just finishing breakfast when I heard Shawn call up from the basement, "You'd better get down here." And so it began. The boys spent the day with some very good friends...VERY good friends! Apparently Grady has decided that the toilet is a new fun toy and they spent a good deal of time chasing him out of the bathrooms!! All is well now. Wet but well.

Take care and pray for sun!!!

3 Comments:

Blogger Aimee said...

Sorry to hear about your water issue. Hope it won't interfere w/ your house traffic! You keep a beautiful house as it is! Keep us posted on house news.

9:31 AM  
Blogger M-Dawg said...

I've had enough rain - I'm with you on that one!

Good luck with the basement -

I didn't have flooding here (thank goodness) but everyone else I know did have flooding!

"Here comes the sun . . . . ."

4:43 PM  
Blogger Julie Wieder said...

man that stinks! i have been thinking about you during all of the news reports, wondering what your situation was. i will pray that all is recoverable and fixed, especially since you have your house on the market. keep me posted. wish i could help! xoxo - julie

1:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home