Saturday, March 03, 2007

A Call For Donors

Today started out fairly normal. Breakfast was rather uneventful, as most plates of waffles are, erands were as errands are, and getting my nails done was as relaxing as ever. It wasn't until we ventured out to one of our favorite greasy pizza joints in Manchester for lunch that our day was suddenly transformed. Conner and Grady were playing by the quarter candy machines while I leafed through the random literature left at local establishments. There, amongst the home guides and business cards, was a flyer about a local woman suffering from leukemia and requesting our presence at the bone marrow drive this afternoon. As I looked at the flyer more closely I realized the woman this paper was talking about was a teacher I worked with at Timberlane and with whom I was rather close during my time there. I couldn't believe it. She was diagnosed just this past January 9 and has been undergoing chemo and radiation but is in need of a bone marrow transplant. We, of course, drove to Derry this afternoon and put ourselves on the list. If you are not on the Dana Farber list then please ask to be tested. It was very simple, 4 swabs in your cheeks and your are done. The YouTube video above was done by their church and gives you a glimpse of what their life has been like these last 2 months.

2 Comments:

Blogger M-Dawg said...

Thank you for the heads up - I posted something on my blog too.

Leigh is such an amazing lady - if anyone can get through this, it's her!

Her and her family are in my prayers.

PS I couldn't get YouTube to post on my blog. So, I posted a link from the NH TV station instead.

10:05 AM  
Blogger emily reilly said...

Cancer is just plain evil. Thanks for sharing this story. I am going to look into the Dana Farber donation list. Do you ever catch the story about the newscaster from Channel 5 who has breast cancer? She has a diary on the bostonchannel.com and every week or so she has an update of her treatments. She has two young kids.

take care...
Emily Reilly

11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home